The Woodlands Adult Adoption Lawyer
If you are considering adopting an adult, contact the The Woodlands adult adoption lawyers with the BB Law Group PLLC at (832) 534-2589. Many believe that adoption is only for babies or small children, but that is not the case. Every year, legal adults are adopted by individuals and families. These adults are often the birth child or stepchild of a parent, but others are not related to their adoptive parents in any way. Regardless of the circumstances, welcoming a new member into your family is a celebratory and joyful occasion.
Adoption presents exciting new beginnings and is sure to bring joy and peace to your life. Unfortunately, legal obstacles sometimes get in the way of a smooth adoption process and could delay your new beginning, sometimes indefinitely. The only way to ensure that your adoption goes as smoothly and quickly as possible is to hire an attorney with ample experience in family law. Contact the BB Law Group PLLC at (832) 534-2589 or online to learn more about your options for adult adoption in the Woodlands.
Why Do I Need an Adult Adoption Lawyer?
In many ways, adopting an adult is often simpler than adopting a child. For example, when adopting a legal adult, the biological parents of the person being adopted do not need to be contacted for the adoption to proceed. However, when adopting an adult, the services of a seasoned lawyer will still likely be necessary. To adopt an adult, you will need to collect documents, fill out and emboss your paperwork, and appear at family court before a family judge who will approve or deny your adoption petition. The process can be overwhelming. One inconsistency in paperwork could delay your adoption process. Furthermore, if the adoptee is mentally or physically disabled, there is more paperwork to complete, along with more chances for error. The only way to ensure that your adoptee is welcomed into your home as soon as possible is to hire a lawyer with experience in adult adoption.
Why Choose the BB Law Group PLLC to Handle My Case?
At the BB Law Group PLLC, we share your passion for family, and that’s why we treat each of our clients as family. We understand that the process of adoption is anxiety-inducing, and we want to change that for you. We will guide you through the document collection, the petition writing, the paperwork, and all the trips to the courthouse. Our dedicated team will make sure that there are no discrepancies or errors in your paperwork and that your path to adoption is as smooth as possible. You are bound to come up with questions, and roadblocks to adoption may arise along the way, but you do not have to go through this process alone. Our team will be with you every step of the way to answer your questions and knock down the obstacles that may crop up.
What Do I Need to Know About Adopting an Adult?
While most people are familiar with the idea of adopting babies or young children, many are not aware that adults can also be adopted. There are numerous reasons for adult adoption:
- Inheritance — One adult can adopt the other to legalize the rights to inheritance between two adults.
- Stepparent — Often, when a stepchild and stepparent have grown close, the stepparent will adopt the child.
- Birth Parent(s) — If an adult finds their birth parent(s) after being adopted or placed in foster care as a child, they may wish to be adopted by them.
- Foster Parents — If a foster child was not able to be adopted while they were under 18 years of age, their foster parents may wish to adopt them when they are older.
- Incapacitation — Sometimes, adults who are mentally or physically disabled will be adopted to care for their health and affairs.
There are a few potential roadblocks to your adult adoption, including:
- Incest Laws — If the adopted adult and the adoptive parent are in a sexual relationship, the petition will be denied. This relationship violates the incest laws of the state.
- Fraud — If it appears that the adoption is initiated to defraud creditors, the adoption petition will not be approved.
- Duress — To be adopted as an adult, both parties must agree of their free will. If it appears that one party is under duress, the petition will be denied.
- Immigration — The state of Texas also prevents adoptions that are for the purpose of aiding individuals to immigrate.
To make sure none of these problems get in your way, be sure to contact the BB Law Group PLLC for assistance.
Let us help you make your family complete through adoption. If you are interested in adopting an adult, contact the experienced adoption lawyers of the BB Law Group PLLC at (832) 534-2589 today.