When the custodial parent in a child custody arrangement needs or wants to relocate, there are numerous legal complexities to consider. The Woodlands attorneys at the BB Law Group PLLC know, geographic restriction in child custody cases can become exceedingly complicated for all parties involved. In this situation, it is important to enlist the assistance of competent legal representation in order to protect your rights and the best interests of your family.
Factors that Affect Geographic Restriction Cases
As determined in Lenz v. Lenz, the Texas Supreme Court considers the following factors to determine the best interest of child in geographic restriction cases:
- The presence of a living environment that is supportive and stable
- The presence of and relationship with the child’s extended family
- The presence of the child’s friends
In regards to the custodial parent, The Woodlands courts will take the following factors into strong consideration:
- Any improved financial capability of the custodial parent to provide a higher standard of living
- Any positive impact the move will make upon the custodial parent’s mental and emotional state that beneficially affects the child or children
Furthermore, The Woodlands courts will consider what effect relocation will have upon the noncustodial parent, including:
- The right of the noncustodial parent to have meaningful and regular contact with the child or children
- The noncustodial parent’s ability to make his or her work schedule accommodate the child or children
- The noncustodial parent’s ability to also relocate.
Whatever your particular circumstances, The Woodlands legal team has the experience and resources to help you protect the best interests of your family in The Woodlands courts.
Contact The Woodlands Geographic Restriction Attorneys
At the BB Law Group PLLC, The Woodlands geographic restriction attorneys work closely with you to develop a comprehensive legal strategy intended to help you protect the best interests of your child or children. To discuss the particulars of your present circumstances with one of our family lawyers, please call our offices in The Woodlands at (832) 534-2589 today.