How Does Moving for a Job Affect My Visitation Agreement?

Contact Us

When you are a divorced parent, the last thing you may want to think about is moving for a new job. However, if the opportunity arises, it’s important to understand how it can affect your custody and visitation agreements. Moving for a job can have both positive and negative effects on your custody arrangements, and it is essential to understand both before making a decision. In this blog post, we will discuss how moving for a job can affect your visitation agreement and what you can do to protect your rights as a parent.

What Is a Typical Visitation Agreement?

Visitation agreements are arrangements between two parents who are not living together that ensure a child has contact with both of their parents. Visitation agreements provide details about when and how often the child will be with each parent and can also include information about transportation, holiday and school breaks, and other details.

In most cases, visitation agreements are written by a family law attorney. The agreement will be put into writing and signed by both parties to ensure that it is legally binding and enforceable. Both parents should review the agreement thoroughly before signing it and ensure it is tailored to their family’s needs.

What if I Move Out of State for a New Job?

how does moving for my job affect visitation Moving out of state for a new job can significantly affect your visitation agreement. You’ll likely need to modify your visitation agreement to make provisions for long-distance visitation or visitation exchanges. If your current visitation is weekly and your move takes you several hours away, you may need to adjust the frequency and duration of your visits.

Additionally, you might need to include alternative means of communication, such as video calls or phone calls. You could also have to work out a plan to cover travel costs associated with visitation, or you may have to contribute to the cost of electronics so that your child can communicate with you digitally.

What if I Move Out of the Country for a New Job?

When you move out of the country, you will need to adjust your visitation agreement more drastically than if you’re moving to another state. You should consult with a lawyer familiar with the laws of both your current country and the country you are moving to in order to understand how your rights may be impacted by the move. Additionally, you should reach out to the appropriate authorities in the country you are moving to, such as the courts or the child welfare agency, to understand how your move may affect your ongoing parenting arrangements.

The terms of your current visitation agreement will need to be altered. You and your ex will need to consider the best way to get your child quality time with each of you. That may mean you’ll have to see your child only on lengthy school holidays. Perhaps your child can spend summers with you and alternate holidays. Your new visitation agreement should include provisions for digital communication with your child between in-person visits.

In every event, you should talk with your child to explain the reasons for the changes and ensure they understand that your relationship shouldn’t change as a result of your move.

How Do I Modify My Visitation Agreement if I Move?

If you are planning to move to a new state or country, you’ll have to modify your visitation agreement. Consult with a knowledgeable child custody attorney if you’re contemplating moving to another country and you’re the non-custodial parent. They will know if any other issues need to be addressed in the new visitation agreement.

Speak with a Texas Child Custody Attorney Today

If you are considering a move for a new job and are worried about how it may affect your visitation agreement, the best thing to do is to speak with an experienced Texas child custody lawyer. They can help you understand the implications of a move on your visitation agreement and advise you of any steps that may need to be taken to modify the agreement. At BB Law Group PLLC, our lawyers have experience dealing with all types of child custody cases and are here to help you. Contact us today by calling (832) 534-2589 to discuss your legal options through a confidential legal case review.