Contact Us

Enforcing Support Agreements

A divorce in which a couple has a child or multiple children will often result in the creation of a child support agreement. Although specifications mandated by this child support agreement will vary greatly between couples based on different personal circumstances, every child support agreement is enforceable by law. If an ex-spouse refuses to adhere to the stipulations of a child support agreement, then they might be punished legally and be made to adhere. Facing a recalcitrant or reluctant spouse regarding child support agreements can be frustrating, but is often worth it for a number of reasons. If you need help enforcing a support agreement, do not hesitate to reach out to BB Law Group PLLC at (832) 534-2589 today.

Why You Need a Lawyer

Because child support agreements are so necessary to the health and wellbeing of you and your child, you shouldn’t hesitate to take legal action when your ex-spouse evades payment. Hiring a lawyer can help you stay organized and efficient when navigating the legal sphere, and it can be beneficial for someone to explain your options as you move through your lawsuit. The last thing you want is for your child to suffer because your ex is refusing to help you financially. After a child support agreement is finalized by a judge, you and your child are entitled to child support payments, and you have every right to demand justice for your child through the law. Waiting around for your ex to have a change of heart might never yield any results. Don’t let yourself struggle while you wait for someone else to be responsible – contact a lawyer today.

Why Choose Us?

At BB Law Group PLLC, we believe that the law should protect those in need. That’s why we’re committed to helping you get the justice you deserve when facing an evasive ex-spouse. Undoubtedly, you’re feeling frustrated and upset. That’s why we believe in tailoring experiences for each client and providing unmatched personal service for everyone who needs help. Everyone’s situation is different, and at BB Law Group PLLC, your case is important to us. Our firm is dedicated to understanding the needs of each individual client and working with them to create effective solutions. Giving us the reins in your case will help the success of your lawsuit – just ask any of our satisfied clients. If you’d like to learn more about your options when dealing with an ex-spouse who won’t adhere to your child support agreement, contact us today.

Why Enforcement Matters

Child support agreements are established so that proper care of children can be maintained even after a divorce is finalized. It is for this reason that spouses need to be able to enforce agreements. Taking such action can be helpful as it:

  • Establishes regular schedules
  • Proves that an ex cannot financially disregard responsibility
  • Provides children with necessary funding for needs
  • Allows financial security for a spouse / children
  • Mandates that the law must be followed

Because of these and others reasons, enforcing child support agreements is critical. Both you and your child or children may suffer detrimental effects if an ex-partner does not provide the funding they are legally required to.

Frequently Asked Questions

We hope that this is the first time you are having to enforce a support agreement, but if it is your first time, you likely have many questions. Read on to see the answers to some frequently asked questions, or contact us today to discuss your particular circumstances in depth.

How do I file a lawsuit against my ex?

It’s always best to consult with a lawyer before deciding to file a lawsuit. If you both decide that it’s the best way to move forward in a situation in which your spouse is not paying child support, there are a few ways you can petition the court for the payment you’re owed. Execution and sale involves legally seizing your ex’s property, which is then sold for money that is given to you for child support. Money can also be taken straight from your ex’s wages, or their property can be held until they pay. In more extreme cases, you can file for contempt, which may lead to jail time. Because child support can’t easily be paid from jail, this is often not the first choice for enforcing support agreement cases.

What are the consequences of not paying child support?

Not paying child support is not only irresponsible and potentially harmful to a child, but also comes with steep consequences. In addition to the different methods of coercing payment, someone who is skipping child support payments may be denied a passport, have their driver’s license revoked, or be denied tax refunds.

Can I collect payments for years before I filed for child support?

No. If you have only just come to a child support agreement with your ex, you cannot collect money for any time that predates that agreement. This is why it is important to have a child support agreement, so your child can be well provided for. However, if you did have an agreement and your ex has fallen behind, the court can make them account for past payments. This is a situation in which your ex is “in arrears.”

Can I still collect child support if my ex is in another state?

Yes. A lawyer can help you file the correct papers and make the correct inquiries, but you are still entitled to child support payments from your ex despite the state in which they live. Visitation laws are strict about each parent’s proximity to the child because of difficulties with organizing and paying for transportation. If the non-custodial parent does not have visitation rights, however, state boundaries would not necessarily matter, and they would still be required to pay child support, depending on the set-upon agreement. If the custodial parent does deny legal visitation rights to the non-custodial parent, the non-custodial parent may be excused from having to pay child support for a court-appointed period of time. A lawyer can help explain any further questions you may have concerning child support payments across state lines.

Contact Us

After establishing a child support agreement, you expect your ex-spouse to follow through on their requirements; however, when they do not, then you may need help. At the BB Law Group PLLC, we can provide legal guidance and support to you when you are working to enforce a child support agreement. Call (832) 534-2589 to learn how we can help you with enforcement of child support agreements.