The Woodlands Grandparent Adoption Lawyer
Families have their own unique make-up. Across the country, countless grandparents are the primary guardians of their grandchildren. In specific cases, legally adopting a grandchild could create the best situation for everyone involved. At BB Law Group PLLC, an adoption lawyer can work through the adoption process with you.
In Texas, there is a set of legally-mandated steps that grandparents who wish to adopt their grandchildren must go through for the adoption to take place. It is essential to do things the right way to minimize difficulty and stress.
At BB Law Group PLLC, we have extensive experience helping our clients navigate through the adoption steps. We understand that adopting a grandchild or another relative can be an emotional experience. Often, the grandchild is living with you because their parents, for whatever reason, are unable or unwilling to act as parents. Children can suffer from confusion and sadness because of their circumstances. We want your grandchild to experience happiness and hope.
Why Grandparent or Other Relative Adoption Might Be the Best Situation for Your Family
Adopting your grandchild might be the best decision for your family for many reasons, including (but not limited to):
- Decision-Making – You will have legal decision-making ability on behalf of your grandchild. From decisions about school to decisions about which doctor they go to, to consent regarding medical procedures, unless you are legally responsible for the child, you have no rights.
- Financial and Healthcare Benefits – You might be able to cover your grandchild on your insurance or list them as a beneficiary to an insurance policy. There are also tax benefits to having a dependent that you are responsible for.
- A Stable Emotional Home – Your grandchild might be going through an emotional ordeal due to their parents’ absence or inability to give them the care and attention they need and deserve. Grandparents may be in a better position to provide the emotional support that every child needs.
BB Law Group PLLC wants to make the process easier and less challenging for grandparents who wish to adopt their grandchildren, and we want to ease children’s stress during the adoption process. We will evaluate your case for free and will guide you through the steps required for adoption.
Why Do I Need an Adoption Lawyer?
Adopting a grandchild entails a series of actions. Adoption lawyers not only know what is required, but they also understand how to file the legal documents and can represent you in court. Adopting your grandchild requires the following to take place:
- You must decide that legally adopting your grandchild is the right decision for you, the parents, and for your grandchild.
- The child’s parents must either willingly relinquish their parental rights, or you must ask the court to terminate those rights. You cannot adopt your grandchild if someone else still has legal parental rights. If your grandchild’s parents voluntarily terminate their parental rights, then the process is not quite as complex. Even so, a lawyer can help you with the necessary legal documents.
- If the child’s parents do not want to terminate their rights, then the court must determine whether the parents should continue to have parental rights to the child. Those rights could be terminated for several reasons – for example, if the parents are harming the child. Involuntary termination of parental rights is a much more complicated situation. A lawyer can provide you with advice, can represent you in court, and can help you through the system.
- Once the parents’ rights are terminated, there must be a home study. Someone from the Department of Family and Protective Services will come to your home and evaluate whether your home is a suitable, emotionally secure, and physically safe environment for the grandchild you want to adopt. That seems a little scary, but just as you want your grandchild to grow up in a happy, healthy home, so does the state of Texas. A lawyer can clarify the process to you, answer your questions, and alleviate your concerns.
- Texas allows children who are 12 years old or older to consent to be adopted by their grandparents or decline to consent. The court could potentially overrule their feelings about the adoption, but in general, legal consent by the child must be provided.
- A court hearing will take place. Ultimately, a judge will rule on the adoption and legally finalize it.
Adopting a grandchild is a complicated legal matter, and it is helpful to have someone work with you who is familiar with the process. An adoption lawyer can give you the experienced counsel you need and can help you make the right decisions for yourself, the child, and your family as a whole.
How Can BB Law Group PLLC Help Me Adopt My Grandchild or Other Family Member?
BB Law Group PLLC knows family law. We know adoption law. Nothing is as important as the well-being of a child, and you have taken the first step by deciding to adopt your grandchild. For years, Bryan J. Bleibdrey has represented grandparents who want their grandchildren to have a stable home surrounded with love.
The extensive trial experience, first-class Baylor legal education, and countless testimonials by fellow lawyers and satisfied clients have given people confidence over the years. We are caring to our clients and tough in court when we need to be.
Call The Woodlands adoption lawyer of BB Law Group PLLC at (832) 534-2589. We want to help you adopt your grandchild and give them the permanent home they deserve.
Adoption Cases We Handle
BB Law Group PLLC represents our clients with compassion. Every day, we work hard to ensure that children who need love, stability, and a nurturing environment free of the volatility that so many of them have unfairly experienced get all those things. We handle the following types of family adoptions, which include but are not limited to just grandparents, including:
- Other relatives
From straightforward, uncontested adoptions to complicated adoptions where parents don’t want to relinquish their rights, our firm is prepared to get to work. Adoption can be so joyful, and it can be a fresh start for children who want nothing more than people to love them. BB Law Group PLLC can help you through this emotional journey.
If you are ready to provide your grandchild or another young relative the sense of permanency and the love that they deserve, then BB Law Group PLLC is ready to help answer your questions and help you give the child a real home. Call our office at (832) 534-2589 or contact us online to set up an adoption case evaluation free of charge.