3 Ways to Enforce Alimony Payments

Divorces are inherently difficult proceedings, especially when it comes to money. In many divorce cases, one spouse is required to pay alimony to the other spouse who makes less money so the spouse can maintain their quality of life. Unfortunately, many spouses are unwilling to pay necessary alimony to their spouse, even when the payment is court mandated. This unwillingness can cause considerable financial burden for the spouse receiving alimony. Fortunately, several court proceedings can help retrieve alimony money from an uncooperative ex-spouse, a few of which are listed below.

  1. Contempt: If your spouse has refused or failed to pay your alimony, a judge may find your spouse in contempt of the court. This approach usually means the judge will give an order for the spouse to pay the money owed to you and potentially add another fine for their refusal to pay. If your spouse continues to refuse to pay, the court can take additional actions, such as charging more fines or even jail time.
  2. Writ of Execution: A writ of execution is a court order that allows an enforcing officer to seize the debtor’s property in order to pay for their debts. In this case, the money seized is what the debtor owes to their spouse. This method may involve a court awarding part of the debtor’s bank account, part of their property, or any other assets deemed acceptable by the court, to the other spouse.
  3. Income Withholding: Income withholding is a court order that requires the employer of the spouse not paying alimony to withhold a portion of their income and send it directly to the other spouse for alimony. This method allows the spouse in need to get the money directly, without having to deal with the spouse who is refusing to pay.

Contact Us

If you have not been receiving your court-mandated alimony from your former spouse, there are ways to retrieve the lost money, and we can help. Spouses that are required to pay alimony should be held accountable for their failure to complete legal mandates and should be made to the pay the money they should have been paying in the first place. Here at the BB Law Group PLLC, we are committed to fighting for the full compensation that our clients are owed. If you have any questions or want to set up an appointment with one of our qualified Woodlands alimony attorneys, please contact us at (832) 534-2589 today.